For 65-69 Corvair Monza and 500’s
By Greg Hopewell N.T.C.A.
Have ever wanted an in-dash tachometer for your Corvair? This is an easy Modification from start to finish in about 2 to 3 hours.
Sun Pro Super Tach. 3 3/8 Inch
Costs around $50
Sm. flat and Phillips screwdrivers
1/4” Nut driver or sockets
Pliers and red marker
1) Remove dash assembly
2) Remove instrument cluster from dash. (This would be a good time to lube, clean gauges and lens)
3) Remove clock blank from cluster
4) Use hacksaw to cut face off clock blank approx. 1 /4” back from face. see fig.-1
5) Cut slit down center of the flat on the clock blank see fig.-2
6) Reinstall cut clock blank back into the instrument cluster
7) Carefully remove tach. face and lens by prying at tabs with a screwdriver.
8) Use a red marker to color in a redline on tach’s. Face (6000rpm)
9) File off the tab above the 4000 RPM mark and then file a 1” wide flat area behind the tab see fig. 3
10) Slide tach. into clock blank from the front ( this should be a snug fit) and push it all the way back see fig.-4
11) Reassemble instrument cluster in to the dash make sure that ground strap is connected.
12) Make sure tach. is set to 6cyl.
13) Connect black wire to ground on back of dash.
14) Reinstall dash in the car. (note: the tach light is not used)
15) Connect red wire to radio fuse
16) Rout green wire to distributor and connect to point side of coil. You are now ready to enjoy .
Your in-dash tachometer..